Friday, April 18, 2008

Just Starting Off

This blog was inspired by the writings of Sharon Astyk over at Casaubon's Book. I do not pretend to know all there is to know about gardening, but I thought I could share what I have learned over the past couple of years about raising vegetables and some laying hens in northern California. My wife and I live on about 1/3rd of an acre in a 1960's subdivision in the suburbs of Sacramento. We have damp winters (hopefully) and hot dry summers. My soil started off remarkably bad. Compacted clay, little apparent humus, and a clay hardpan a couple of feet down. Not ideal for commercial farming, but I am only growing for us now. I am going to start from the begining and work to where we are now over the next few weeks. If you stumble across this blog and have questions go ahead and ask them. If you have suggestions to improve my gardening go ahead and share them.

-Campesino

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Hey, someone I'm eager to hear from has arrived in the blogosphere! OK, I could be a bit biased ~ as a family member, I saw this plot when it was just gnarly, nasty dirt and weeds. This garden has been cultivated with love, patience, pride and joy and I congratulate its creators! Can't wait to hear about its continuing growth...